RICK WELCH'S THE ACCURACY FACTORY FORUM
TO OUR FIRST TIME VISITOR: Thank you for your interest in Rick Welch's THE ACCURACY FACTORY FORUM.
This forum is the destination for the open minded traditional archer/bowhunter who is striving
to be the most consistently accurate shot possible. If you feel Rick's method is right for you, we will do EVERYTHING we can to help you to
shoot better than ever before.- Dave Mullins Administrator/Moderator

RICK WELCH'S THE ACCURACY FACTORY FORUM

THIS IS A PUBLIC FORUM, FOR ANYONE WHO WANTS TO LEARN MORE ABOUT RICK WELCH'S INSTINCTIVE SHOOTING METHOD.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

arrow choice

Go down 
AuthorMessage
timtiminy

PostSubject: arrow choice   Mon 21 Dec 2009, 9:46 pm

I am up in the air with what arrow shafts I should go with when trying to decide between wood, aluminum, and carbon. I am using a 55# @ 28" longbow and I plan on building my own arrows, The only benefit that I can see with building wood arrows is having the critical weight a longbow needs and maybe saving some money since I can get more shafts for less than any other choice. I am not sure if the cost savings is really going to be that much after considering having to get all the little extra "wood only" things such as stain, sealant, dip tubes, shaft straightener, and taper tool as well as I am wanting to use screw in broadheads so the screw on adapters... I know that there are some traditional carbon shafts now and I don't know how they compare weight wise to wood shafts and if I would have to add weight tubes to them or not. Im just trying to think of everything I am going to need as cost is going to be the biggest issue for me. I have broken my share of carbon arrows in the past and its not fun to know it's at minimum $5 a shaft, so at $1.50 a shaft for wood shafts when bought at quantity it seems like a good idea to go with wood. Let me know what your guys' thoughts are. I would really appreciate any insight that can be had concerning this. thanks!
Back to top Go down
BOHO

PostSubject: Re: arrow choice   Tue 22 Dec 2009, 9:23 pm

wood is a lot cheaper than carbon but I bet you'll break 10 times more wood arrows than you will carbons. lots of guys still use aluminum cause of the weight. you can get some of the traditional carbons that look like wood and are heavier so they work better from a trad bow. I bought a bow with the weight just under 50# so I can use regular carbon arrows and still be around 10 gpp. if you dont want to go with carbon, I bet a 2018 aluminum would work well for you. good luck.
Back to top Go down
Winter Hawk

PostSubject: Re: arrow choice   Tue 22 Dec 2009, 10:29 pm

I'll bet that 35/55 Gold Tips with 50 grain brass inserts up front, and 125 grain tips will fly like darts out of your bow. I tried the "woodie" path, and there is just to much that can cause them to be anything other than straight. That being said, those 35/55's are available in a "traditional" finish that sure has fooled numerous people that I have shot with. They thought they were wood........until I handed them the arrow to see for themselves.

Nothing at all against wooden arrows............but...........carbon arrows are either "straight".......or they are "broke".

Winter Hawk
Back to top Go down
archer38

PostSubject: Re: arrow choice   Mon 23 Apr 2012, 10:00 pm

I can't give any opinion on wood shafts but I can reiterate what winter hawk said. Carbons are either straight or broke and the only time I've EVER broken one is by robin hooding them or when an animal falls dead on it while its still in his rib cage. The latter has happened four times now but I don't mind so much losing an arrow that way. I shot aluminums for years and bent far too many of them to ever trust them again. In my opinion.... unless you are a true traditionalist, carbon is the only way to go.
Back to top Go down
timtiminy

PostSubject: Re: arrow choice   Tue 24 Apr 2012, 2:35 pm

Update: went with Goldtip Traditional woodgrain pattern carbon arrows. found some cosmetic blemished ones for $45 a dozen. Cant beat that! Just curious about arrow weight and spine in regards to penetration. right now I'm running 3555 shafts at 29" using goldtip aluminum inserts with 20grain weights and 125 grain tips, 5" parabolic feathers on 7" vinyl wrap, with regular goldtip nocks. Shooting a 55lb @28" longbow and drawing to about 27 1/2". The arrows fly straight and it seems like they have good kinetic energy.
Back to top Go down
archer38

PostSubject: Re: arrow choice   Sun 29 Apr 2012, 10:22 pm

sounds like a good combination to me. And a great deal !! I know the GT traditional arrows are a bit heavier than regular carbons and at 29 inches should be about 350 grains, plus 145 grains up front you should get great penetration. Good luck
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: arrow choice   

Back to top Go down

arrow choice
Page 1 of 1